Hokulani School’s three first grade classes encourage self-esteem through five of the six General Learner Outcomes and five school-wide Behavior Expectations.
General Learner Outcomes
1. Self-Directed Learner
- I can work by myself.
- I can follow directions.
- I can stay focused.
- I can complete my work on time.
- I can work without disturbing others.
- I can check my work.
- I can complete my homework on time and turn it in.
2. Community Contributor
- I can help my classmates.
- I can put my materials away when I am finished.
- I can help keep the classroom clean.
- I can follow school and classroom rules.
- I can work and play well with others.
- I can show mutual respect.
3. Complex Thinker
- I can make good choices on my own.
- I can think of different ways to solve problems.
4. Quality Producer
- I can complete my work carefully.
- I can complete my work neatly.
5. Effective Communicator
- I can listen with my eyes, ears and heart.
- I can talk kindly to others.
- I can share during discussion.
- I can use words to express my feelings.
- I can ask questions.
- I can use a voice that people can hear consistently.
1. Mutual Respect
2. Attentive Listening
3. Show Appreciation (No Put-Downs)
4. Be Safe (Right to Pass)
5. Be ResponsibleGrade 1 Curricular Resources
Children are involved in hands-on grade-appropriate learning opportunities and activities.
Language Arts –
Write Traits - Ideas, Organization, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, ConventionsLanguage Arts (Wonders) – Math (Stepping Stones) –
Addition and Subtraction Concepts, Addition and Subtraction Facts to 20, Graphs, Numbers to 100, Facts to 12, Geometry, Money, Time, Fractions, Measurement, DataScience –
Animals, Plants, Environments for Living Things, Places to Live, Measuring Weather, All about Matter, MotionSocial Studies –
Geography, Holidays, Rules and Responsibilities, Philosophy, Drug Free Awareness
Grade 1 Homework Policy–
Homework is an integral part of your child’s day. Daily homework will be provided, should be checked and corrected by a parent, and returned the following school day. Please initial the student planner daily. On occasion, special projects and additional work may be assigned with specific instructions. Our weekly schedule is as follows:
- *Monday – Spelling/Handwriting Practice (neatly write each spelling word three times using every other line)
- *Tuesday – Book Report (completed reports are due on or before Friday of each week)
- *Wednesday – Math Worksheet
- *Thursday – Writing
- *Friday – No Homework