Our Hawaii Department of Education (HIDOE) Shared eBook Collection is now connected to the Hawaii State Public Library System (HSPLS) OverDrive collection. Students and teachers can now connect automatically to the HSPLS collection without a public library card.
Here is video on How to use Public Library Connect in Sora. Students and teachers will follow the normal instructions to add a public library in Sora.
Click here to download an instructional flyer on connect to the HSPLS OverDrive collection in Sora.
Why a Digital Library?
The HIDOE Digital Library is using the OverDrive platform, similar to the one used at the Hawaii State Public Library. The collection is an extension of our physical library, only it’s online with 24/7 access to eBooks and audiobooks. It’s convenient for students to check out titles anytime, anywhere with no worry about misplacing a book or running up late fees – these digital titles automatically return at the end of the lending period!
The HIDOE Digital Library on Overdrive can help students of all ages read more and improve comprehension. Struggling or reluctant readers, learning-challenged, second language learners, and gifted readers can all benefit from this service.
- Enrich vocabulary and improve comprehension and pronunciation
- Introduce students to books above their reading level
- Teach critical listening
- Help busy kids find time to read
How do I access the Digital Library?
To access the HIDOE Digital Library, students need to complete the following steps:
- Browse the secure website at http://hidoe.lib.overdrive.com on a computer, tablet, smartphone or eReader device.
- Login with their Library Card Number (This is their 10-digit student ID number)
- Download and borrow any of the available ebooks or audiobooks to their device.