Welcome to Fourth Grade
Welcome to Fourth Grade
How can I help my fourth grader?
- Set aside a quiet space for studying
- Remind your child to check his/her planner daily
- Sign reading log in planner (Monday – Thursday)
- Sign Weekly Work Progress Report on Friday, due Monday
- Review items in communication folder every Thursday
What is expected of the students?
- Listen and follow directions
- Pay attention to instruction
- Bring all materials to school (books, pencils, paper, planner and homework)
- Participate in class and ask questions
- Be a self-directed learner
- Produce quality products using criteria
Most importantly demonstrate a "Growth Mindset" https://youtu.be/hiiEeMN7vbQ
Stepping Stones Math with a focus on the "8 Mathematical Practices" (click on the PDF file above to view the practices)
Numbers and Operations:
- Word Problems
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing multiple digits
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing with money
- 3 digit multiplication
- Adding and subtracting decimals and fractions
- Commutative, associative and distributive properties
- Identifying geometric figures
- Learning geometric vocabulary
- Perimeter, Area, Volume
- Customary and metric systems
Patterns, Functions, and Algebra:
- Using and solving for variables
- Using symbols
Data analysis, statistics and probability
- Reading charts, graphs and labels
English Language Arts (ELA)
NOTE: The Wonders textbooks are accessible online. Your child has the username and password for the site.
- Writers’ Workshop (writing process and traits of writing)
- Write Source
Text: Harcourt Science
- Inferences and observations
- Hypothesis and experimental procedures
Physical, Earth and Space:
- Slow and fast processes that shape the Earth
- Earth and sun relationship
- Electric circuits
- Ecosystems – food chains/food webs
- Plant and animal cells
- Producers, consumers and decomposers
Social Studies (Hawaiiana Curriculum)
"The Hawaiians of Old" and "From the Mountains to the Sea"
- Identifying place (geographic features of volcanic islands, surrounding land masses)
- History of the Hawaiian Islands and its people (pre-contact to King Kamehameha the Great)
- Preservation of culture
- Changes over time
- Economic life in the ahupuaa system
- Roles, rights and responsibility of people in pre-contact Hawaii
- Evaluate the kapu system
"I am a Scientist" program offered by Chaminade University. Click on the link below, select Hokulani Elementary, and enter this password x!ZP&9Qx8w*R to view photos of the students in action.
HAWAIIAN CULTURE AND MUSIC WITH AUNTY LYNNE BEGINS IN NOVEMBER AND ENDS WITH A HO`IKE (PERFORMANCE) IN MARCH.
Aunty Lynne will be working with our students to teach Hawaiian culture and music on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (days subject to change) from 12:30 to 2:00. Your child will be working hard to put on a wonderful performance for you and your ohana.
More information will be provided as we get closer to the performance date.
Field Trips: (as of 07/23/2019)
- 10/25/209 - SOEST Open House: UH Manoa - Shoes and Hokulani T-shirt
- - Spaulding House: Art Through Literacy - Shoes, home lunch, & Hokulani or a blue T-shirt
- 11/05/2019 - Hawaiian Geology Classroom presentation (precursor to the Hawaiian Geology Bus Tour)
- 12/12/2019 - Hawaiian Geology Bus Tour - Shoes, lunch, and water required. Optional: sunscreen and hat. (NO REFUNDS)
- - UH Lo`i - slippers, old clothes (may get dirty), shorts, mosquito repellant, sunscreen, hat, and extra change of clothes.
- - Honolulu Theatre for Youth: In the Yeear of the Boar and Jackie Robinson. Shoes & Hokulani t-shirt.
- - UHM Insect Museum: shoes and Hokulani or a blue T-shirt
- 03/06/2020 - He`eia Bus Tour - Shoes, lunch, water, and small towel/mat to sit on required. Optional: sunscreen and hat (NO REFUNDS)
- 04/23/2020 - Service Learning: Waipao
- 05/05/2020 - Kamananui Trail Hike: Shoes, lunch, and water required. Optional: sunscreen and hat. (NO REFUNDS)
- - Art Bento Field Trip to Hawaii State Art Museum: Hokulani T-shirt & shoes
- - 4th Grade dress rehearsal (for Hokulani students only) in the MPB @ 1:00 (Students will be eating lunch at 10:45; therefore, home lunch is required)
- - 4th Grade parent performance in the MPB @ 1:00 (Students will be eating lunch at 10:45; therefore, home lunch is required)